Re: using IRR tools for BGP route filtering

  • From: John Fraizer
  • Date: Thu Jun 22 16:09:18 2000

I agree totally with prefix-list filtering customers and we have done so
from the very beginning.  (Who wants to blemish the reputation of their
ASN as result of a customer being a bonehead and announcing default, etc?)
Provider<->Provider prefix-list filtering becomes much more involved
however.  When a provider has 400+ bilateral peering relationships, the
time it takes to bring a new customer online who has their own address
space grows substantially.  It is no different when a provider obtains
additional address space.  If their peers are prefix-list filtering, they
have to contact every peer to have them blast a hole in the filters for
the new address block.

In a perfect world, we would not need to filter, period.  Filtering
customers has become necessary to survival.  I see Provider<->Provider
filtering as a major hurdle to jump anytime your (or anyone elses) network
expands in relation to prefixes being legitimately announced.

---
John Fraizer
EnterZone, Inc