Re: using IRR tools for BGP route filtering

  • From: cengiz
  • Date: Wed Jun 21 13:32:10 2000

[email protected] ([email protected]) on June 21:
> problems:
>
>    a. the independant registries generally store a local copy of the
> 	other registries for config use. this was fine when there were
> 	a few [like ripe, mci, ans] but not so fine when N grows unbounded.
> 	co-ordination could very quickly become a nightmare.

This problem is actually solved. Please see RFC 2769. There is one
implementation of this already, in ISI's BIRD server. IRRd folks, the
defacto routing registry server, are also working to implement this as
well. I heard rumors that RIPE will also implement this spec.

The protocol lets you auto discover new registries, and of course you
can choose what to do with the newly discovered registries. For
example, you can establish a registry exchange peering with radb, and
set auto discover, and each time radb or recursively some one they
exchange with starts peering with a new repository, you can start
receiving their data as well.

Cengiz

--
Cengiz Alaettinoglu           Information Sciences Institute
http://www.isi.edu/~cengiz    University of Southern California