Re: using IRR tools for BGP route filtering

  • From: bmanning
  • Date: Wed Jun 21 10:37:31 2000

> 2. most large isps aren't going to be happy about config'ing their
> routers off of another provider's registry. so, every provider would
> in theory need to run their own registry.

	A fine idea. If I may be  permitted to flog a dead horse,
	the "right" way is to encode RPSL data in the in-addr.arpa or
	ip6.int tree.

> problems:
>
>    a. the independant registries generally store a local copy of the
> 	other registries for config use. this was fine when there were
> 	a few [like ripe, mci, ans] but not so fine when N grows unbounded.
> 	co-ordination could very quickly become a nightmare.

	Not a real problem.  You manage the data in the prefixes that are
	delegated to you.  Coordination is managed as the DNS is managed.

>    b. who "owns" the local registry/config generator in the ISP? [noc,
> 	install IS, neteng, security?] when its interfacing with customer
> 	databases, responsible for config'ing the entire network, affects
> 	peering, and is a publically accessible server, everyone is gonna
> 	want a piece of it. bureaucracy is great for insuring nothing gets
> 	done. thats assuming the resources [money, people, time] are
> 	available to create & maintain this database server anyway.

	The folks doing the DNS. Coordinating w/ the other interested
	parties in the company.

>    c. uh, who is responsible for "bad" data? remember the 0.0.0.0/0
> 	object? [followup: why was it put in?] how is this any different
> 	than just announcing bad data? is someone going to verify by hand
> 	all of the data	registered? since there is no authoritative 1 to 1
> 	mapping between ownership and routing, how can it truly be verified?

	Bad data should only occur if you intentionally spoof the DNS.
	"Interesting" data in the existing IRR came from a small handful
	of engineers who wanted to point out weaknesses in the RA policies.

	If you place the RPSL constructs in the delegation tree, its much
	easier to track the mapping of delegation & announcement.

	(There is no ownership here)