Re: uunet fiber cut (pgh, pa)

  • From: Sean Donelan
  • Date: Tue Jun 20 01:10:45 2000

On Mon, 19 June 2000, deeann mikula wrote:
> does anyone have the scoop on the "major fiber cut" in the UUnet
> backbone affecting areas around pgh, pa?

Worldcom has a fiber cut affecting at least 11 OC48s between Pittsburgh
and Washington DC.  Folks have reported that UUNET's Pittsburg hub was
isolated from the rest of the network.  The best estimated time to repair
is sometime overnight.

Also Sprint reloaded most of their routers recently, and there have been
sporadic reports of problems in different Sprint cities yesterday.  I don't
have good information about the reasons.