FW: Private and Public Peering

  • From: Lane Patterson
  • Date: Mon Jun 19 21:08:51 2000

Hansen, to directly answer your original question:

	1. if ISP A peers with ISP B through a switch run by an exchange
point operator, this is generally considered to be public peering.  The same
switch may be aggregating many other ISP's giving O(N^^2) peering
relationships.

	2. if ISP A peers with ISP B by connecting to ISP B's switch (which
then may aggregate into ISP B's router), this is considered to be private
peering, and scales to O(N) peering relationships for ISP B.  This seems to
be a more common way for ISP's to privately aggregate smaller (10 mbps, 100
mbps) peers to a switch, which can then use a GbE trunk to a router.

However, I believe the question limits the answer and that we should think
about operational peering interconnection as more than public vs. private:

1.  Public Peering in Public Places:

	Peering via FDDI, ATM, Ethernet 3rd party exchange switches.
	Great for cost-effectively aggregating larger numbers of
	smaller peers (and scaling multicast trees).

2.  Private Peering in Public Places:

	cross connects between colocated peers, ala Equinix, PAIX,
	 ...  bilateral control over fewer large flows, generally
	for Tier 1<->1 and Tier 1<->2.

3.  Private Peering between Private Places:

	circuit from ISP POP A to ISP POP B.

These aren't exact.  There are a number of operational or technical gray
areas:

- POP-friendly buildings like Westin Bldg in Seattle can act as a "partly
public space" via fiber pulls and cabling "meet-me" rooms

- DPT/SRP peering ring is a multiaccess "public peering" fabric but
generally seen as a way to interconnect a small number of private POPs on a
ring (although extending a ring to a "public place" could be a variation)

- 3rd party DACS (for SONET) and eventually OXC (for lambda trades) can
scale/channelize large numbers of private cross connects.  Is this a form of
private peering, or public?  This may depend on operational, business, and
technical definitions, but it's probably a mix of 1. and 2.

Cheers,
-Lane