Re: Private and Public Peering

  • From: Paul Vixie
  • Date: Mon Jun 19 16:27:15 2000

[email protected] (Scott Marcus) writes:
> What most people mean by "private peering" is a direct interconnection
> between two providers.  That's most often implemented over a circuit
> between the two, without either deploying equipment to the other's
> premises; again, however, that's simply a matter of engineering
> convenience.  These connections are conceptually point-to-point.

I like Steve's distinction better.  When folks peer at PAIX, they do so
with a "direct interconnection between two providers".  The fact that both
providers have extended their networks to PAIX, or are using PAIX as a POP,
doesn't make the "peering" less "private".
--
Paul Vixie <[email protected]>
SVP for Internet Services, MFNX

M.I.B.H. Inc. is a subsidiary of Metromedia Fiber Network, Inc.