RE: Jumbo Frames (was Re: MAE-EAST Moving? from Tysons corner torestonVA. )

  • From: Marc Slemko
  • Date: Mon Jun 19 13:11:54 2000

On Mon, 19 Jun 2000, Roeland M.J. Meyer wrote:

> I should have re-caveated, for your benefit. I am not testing
> with a bazillion-byte file. I am testing with query/response
> against a RDBMS host. IOW, a typically real-world(tm) practical
> application. The responses range from 3-50KB, with anomalies out
> to 100KB. The slow-start algorithm has been identified as the

Erm... no, then your problem is opening and closing TCP connections all
the time.  Don't do that.  It hurts you in a lot of other ways.

It really isn't appropriate to go around saying "you need larger MTUs to
fill a 100 meg link, period" when you really mean "in one particular
situation where I am opening and closing TCP connections and only sending
a very small amount of data over each, you need larger MTUs".

I wouldn't be so quick to say slow start is useless, either.  Perhaps with
small window sizes, but as soon as they get big enough...