Jumbo Frames (was Re: MAE-EAST Moving? from Tysons corner to reston VA. )

  • From: Bora Akyol
  • Date: Mon Jun 19 01:25:37 2000

Same question once again.

As long as most end users are running Ethernet, Fast Ethernet, DSL or Cable
Modems, what is the point of jumbo frames/packets other than transferring
BGP tables really fast. Did any one look into how many packets are moved
through an OC-48 in 1 seconds. (approx. 6 million 40 byte packets). I think
even without jumbo frames, this bandwidth will saturate most CPUs.

Jumbo frames are pointless until most of the Internet end users switch to a
jumbo frame based media.

Yes, they look cool on the feature list (we support it as well). Yes they
are marginally more efficient than 1500 byte MTUs ( 40/1500 vs 40/9000). But
in reality, 99% or more of the traffic out there is less than 1500 bytes. In
terms of packet counts, last time I looked at one, 50% of the packets were
around 40 byte packets (ACKs) with another 40% or so at approx 576 bytes or
so.

What is the big, clear advantage of supporting jumbo frames?

Bora