Re: Private and Public Peering

  • From: Steve Feldman
  • Date: Mon Jun 19 00:45:42 2000

The closest to a real distinction that I've been able to come
up with is whether or not a third party is involved
*and* whether packets (or cells) are switched.

For example, peering through a FDDI, Ethernet, or ATM switch
is always called "public" (unless perhaps the switch is
owned by one of the peers).  And peering through a wire or
SONET/SDH circuit seems to always be called private,
even though the data might pass through SONET/SDH
multiplexers, cross-connects, and switches operated by
a third party.

	Steve