Re: PMTU-D: remember, your load balancer is broken

  • From: Valdis.Kletnieks
  • Date: Sun Jun 18 01:09:59 2000

On Sat, 17 Jun 2000 11:59:30 PDT, Paul Vixie <[email protected]>  said:
> [email protected] writes:
> > Has this changed?  Has "fragmentation" become a Great Evil, ... ?

> Yes.  http://research.compaq.com/wrl/techreports/abstracts/87.3.html says:
(abstract trimmed)
>                               Research Report 87/3, December 1987
>
>                               87.3 -- Fragmentation Considered Harmful
>                               Fragmentation is at best a necessary evil; it
>                               can lead to poor performance or complete
>                               communication failure. There are a variety of

Yeah, I've known about that for a while.  What I *meant* was:

Has fragmentation been reclassified from "necessary evil that can
cause problems" to "Great Evil that must be avoided at all costs"?

For instance, we probably all agree that fragging on a core router
is Bad Juju and should be avoided if at all possible.  On the other
hand, how far should we jump through hoops (such as PMTU-D etc)
to avoid fragging on a last-hop modem link from a terminal server
to a PC?

I already spend far too much of my day (even with a lot of tools)
sending flame-grams to ISPs who drop us spam, or have open mail relays,
or start running NTP or tools that query ports 13/37 and forget to open
the firewall, and then complain about my machine probing them..

Enabling PMTU-D (even if it won't buy *my* boxes that much since their
local MTU is 1500) and getting people to fix their ICMP configurations
for the benefit of those sites that WILL profit is an option, but
only if there's general consensus that it's a fight worth fighting...

				Valdis Kletnieks
				Operating Systems Analyst
				Virginia Tech