Re: MAE-EAST Moving? from Tysons corner to reston VA.

  • From: Richard A. Steenbergen
  • Date: Fri Jun 16 23:03:51 2000

On Fri, 16 Jun 2000, Christian Nielsen wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Jun 2000, Richard A. Steenbergen wrote:
>
> > http://stats.sjc.above.net/traffic/sjc/sjc-exodus.html
>
> this one isnt even in use. and remember, some agreements may not allow links
> to be posted.
>
> and from what you posted, 2 were OC3 and 3 were DS3s. It would seem to me that
> the move is towards OC3 and not DS3.

Obviously the move is towards OC3, and obviously some agreements do not
allow traffic stats to be posted, but I think that most of AboveNet's are
open (even if their http://stats.sjc.above.net/traffic page is woefully
out of date). My point is that even on the OC3s, the traffic is rather
low, and on that DS3 which is no longer in use the traffic was not always
excessively high for a good portion of its lifetime.

AboveNet doesn't even want to deal with the hastle of supporting DS3s,
infact they will not do new DS3 private peers I believe. But my point is,
in many cases the backbone to backbone (or at least hosting company to
hosting company) peering traffic is hardly in the realm of exceeding our
current circuit capacity.

--
Richard A Steenbergen <[email protected]>   http://www.e-gerbil.net/humble