Re: MAE-EAST Moving? from Tysons corner to reston VA.

  • From: Richard A. Steenbergen
  • Date: Fri Jun 16 22:20:23 2000

On Fri, 16 Jun 2000, John Fraizer wrote:

> If I'm not mistaken, 9000bytes is the max.
>
> >From acenic.c (By D.Becker of course)
>
>  * To enable jumbo frames, simply specify an mtu between 1500 and 9000
>  * bytes to ifconfig. Jumbo frames can be enabled or disabled at any time
>  * by running `ifconfig eth<X> mtu <MTU>' with <X> being the Ethernet
>  * interface number and <MTU> being the MTU value.
>
> On 16 Jun 2000 [email protected] wrote:
>

> > On Fri, 16 June 2000, "Richard A. Steenbergen" wrote:
> >
> > >In a public exchange point where you're talking to multiple networks
> > >across a shared media it makes sense to do GigE, multiple GigE, 10GigE,
> > >etc,
> >
> > What is the largest MTU that you can use across a GigE fabric?

Jumbo frames are not part of the 802.3z standard. I believe the talk of a
standardized length is 9000 bytes, but until then it should be understood
that not every vendor will support it, or support the same number (and not
every driver for every NIC will support it either). Cisco claims to
support up to 10420 bytes, for example.

For some of the other arguements about MTU size, take a look at:

http://www.columbia.edu/acis/networks/advanced/jumbo/jumbo.html

--
Richard A Steenbergen <[email protected]>   http://www.e-gerbil.net/humble