Re: MAE-EAST Moving? from Tysons corner to reston VA.

  • From: Mark Tripod
  • Date: Fri Jun 16 10:21:14 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard A. Steenbergen" <[email protected]>
To: "ted hardie" <[email protected]>
Cc: "Wayne Bouchard" <[email protected]>; <[email protected]>
Sent: Friday, June 16, 2000 1:49 AM
Subject: Re: MAE-EAST Moving? from Tysons corner to reston VA.

| I don't believe its nearly this bad. It seems to me that the VAST majority
| of backbone private peering is still happening at the OC3 level. In a
| public exchange point where you're talking to multiple networks across a
| shared media it makes sense to do GigE, multiple GigE, 10GigE, etc, with
| OC48 or > feeding it, but due to the nature of the beast (the fact that
| you're exchanging traffic in multiple locations with multiple networks),
| private peering is in no such immediate danger.
|
| Infact a lot of "backbone to backbone" peering is still done with DS3s
| (think of the content providers with little need to talk amongst eachother
| in bulk, GlobalCenter, Exodus, AboveNet, etc). The interesting traffic is
| where the data providers (like those mentioned above) meet the data
| suckers (@Home, AOL, etc), especially as streaming media takes off.

You'd be surprised by how much bandwidth is required between hosting
companies. Companies that host at multiple locations and on different
providers networks require that the connectivity between those networks be
very robust so that they can transfer large amounts of data between their
server farms.