Application versimilitude (was RE: PMTU-D: remember, your load balancer is broken )

  • From: rdobbins
  • Date: Fri Jun 16 03:00:55 2000

>snip<

>Without doing performance analysis on the actual running code,
>there really isn't a lot else to look at.

Shouldn't that be the first step in the optimization process?  Finding out
if the code and the server itself are are operating as efficiently as
possible -prior to- mucking about with the network (this assumes a bit of
thought and planning and maintenance have gone into the network beforehand,
so that there're no glaring, generic things which ought to be fixed)?

Knowing what your application(s) - or your customers' application(s) - look
like on the wire can be an invaluable aid in the code-optimization process,
in my experience.  Of course, in a public environment, one's options are
restricted by the limits of currently-deployed-and-accepted technology.

Roland Dobbins <[email protected]> // 818.535.5024 voice