Re: Summary: Bay Area Power (2000-06-14)

  • From: Steven M. Bellovin
  • Date: Thu Jun 15 23:07:57 2000

In message <[email protected]>, [email protected] writes:

>I was under the impression that these power shortages were the
>result of less over-engineering on the part of power companies due
>to deregulation but maybe this isn't such a new situation after all?

There was an interesting article in the May 11 Wall Street Journal
about how deregulation has led to this situation.  I quote:

	Deregulation, now under way in 24 states, upsets that
	structure and allows new players -- some affiliated with
	utilities, some not -- to build power plants and sell
	electricity. Prices are set by competitive markets; risks
	are borne by investors, not ratepayers. At the same time,
	utilities are surrendering control of long-haul transmission
	lines to new nonprofit operators whose job it is to ensure
	fair access to the grid -- the multistate system of
	high-voltage lines.

	The result: a national electricity system that is vulnerable
	to disruptions caused by equipment breakdowns and human
	error as newly established regional grid operators assume
	responsibility for much larger areas than those formerly
	overseen by individual local utilities. For big energy
	users, who expected deregulation to bring lower prices,
	not lower reliability, it has been a worrisome experience.

Briefly, established power companies were worried that decreasing
prices would prevent them from earning money on their investment; new
players held off until they could figure out what markets would be
most profitable.

The transmission system is in bad shape, too -- San Francisco is
specifically identified as having poor connections to the larger power
grid.

There's a lot more in the article, including notes about how incomplete
deregulation has contributed.  If you subscribe, you can find it at
http://interactive.wsj.com/archive/retrieve.cgi?id=SB957998459784551619.djm