Re: Summary: Bay Area Power (2000-06-14)

  • From: Sean Donelan
  • Date: Thu Jun 15 19:17:32 2000

Large power consumers can sign an interrupt able contract with a (deregulation)
power company.  Interruptible agreements give a discount in exchange
for the promise the customer will voluntarily curtail their usage
when asked.  If they don't, they get socked with penalties.  These
agreements have existed for decades.  On Thursday, PG&E asked its
interruptible customers once again to curtail their usage.

Involuntary curtailment is different.  The prediction is involuntary
curtailments and interruptions will become more commonplace as the
market adjusts to deregulation.  Hopefully, once deregulation is sorted
out the proper incentives will exist to construct additional transmission
and generation facilities.

Some electrical customers disconnect from the grid anytime a potential
exists for an unscheduled interruption.  For example, some sensitive
facilities switch to internal power anytime lightning strikes within
five miles.  They believe their internal power systems are better (albeit
more expensive to operate) than the utility power.  There is a different
school of thought which believes transferring to an alternate power
source is risky in and of itself, so its better to stay with the utility
until it fails, because the utility may not fail but the transfer could.

Finally, if you speak with the right people at the Edison Institute,
they are very frank, there is always the potential for an unscheduled
power interruption.  Anyone who absolutely, positively can not risk
any chance of an interruption should have an independent, standby power
source.