Re: Summary: Bay Area Power (2000-06-14)

  • From: gwright
  • Date: Thu Jun 15 18:46:42 2000

[email protected] writes:
> At least one major data center disconnected from the grid and went to
> generator power, prior to the rolling blackouts. The motivation was not
> stated, but it seems likely that they were requested to do so as part of
> the voluntary interruption efforts. No interruption of service was seen.

In a conversation with an MFS engineer today I mentioned the problems
in the Bay area.  He previously worked for SNET (Southern New
England Telephone, now part of SBC) for many years and said it was
standard practice for them to disconnect COs from the grid and run
off generator power for hours or even a day or two during the
summer season.

I was under the impression that these power shortages were the
result of less over-engineering on the part of power companies due
to deregulation but maybe this isn't such a new situation after all?