Re: Summary: Bay Area Power (2000-06-14)

  • From: Jim Browne
  • Date: Thu Jun 15 15:13:26 2000

At 22:46 -0700 6/14/00, [email protected] wrote:
There was one unconfirmed report of an outage of unknown scope, area and
duration occuring at 14:30.
Downtown Sunnyvale around Carroll Street (including PacBell SNVCA01 and us) lost power (on one phase only) yesterday at 12:35 PDT. PG&E brought it back at 15:35. PG&E said that our area is using too much power and we blew the breaker on that phase. The odd thing was we were still getting about 27 VAC on that phase with the breaker "blown".

Of course, the problem started again at 09:21 PDT and is ongoing. Generators (tested weekly) are your friend. I'm sure burning gas does wonders to help out the "Spare the Air" effort.

I wonder when CA will require stoplights to have battery backup. I imagine that is more likely to happen than having intelligent drivers. We had one ambulance roll yesterday due to the "if the stoplight is not lit, hit the gas!" effect.

Jim Browne [email protected]
"Reading these menus is like trying to read an article in Wired."
- Dan Pape on the menus at El Balazo, Haight Street, SF