Re: exchange point media (was: Re: MAE-EAST Moving? ...)

  • From: Simon Lockhart
  • Date: Thu Jun 15 04:21:43 2000

>The other question is what is the actual capability of the GigaE cards in
>a cisco box?  I have been told (not played with GigaE on cisco yet and for
>that matter, neither has the person who told me) that it is limited to
>around 400Mb/s.

On a 7xxx Cisco, yes, it's limited to 400Mb/s, due to limitations on the
interface to the backplane (or VIP2 in the 75xx).

On the Cisco 12000, the backplane interface is 2.5Gb/s, so the GigE cards
can run at full speed.

Interestingly, no-one seems to have mentioned LINX yet in this discussion.
LINX have been offering GigE connections to their switch for over a year
now as a trial, and in the last few months they are now "live". There are
apparently some LINX members pushing a few 100Mb/s through their GigE
connection.

E.g. see http://stats.sjc.above.net/traffic/lhr/linx-1.html

Simon
--
Simon Lockhart                       |   Tel: +44 (0)1737 839676
Internet Engineering Manager         |   Fax: +44 (0)1737 839516