Re: Laptops as servers?

  • From: Jerry Scharf
  • Date: Thu Jun 15 01:39:42 2000

One thing I know to watch for is periodic battery replacement. It turns out
that running a laptop with a battery in it with AC on all the time will slowly
erode the life of the battery. I have no way to know how long you can do this
before the batteries won't do what you were expected. Maybe a battery
replacement every couple years is all it takes.

The other is that the I/O on laptops sucks compared to PCI. For things that
aren't major traffic handlers (like your DNS and DHCP examples) this is not a
hit. Do any of the O/Ss out there get full rate out of a 100bT PC card?

jerry