Re: exchange point media (was: Re: MAE-EAST Moving? ...)

  • From: Dana Hudes
  • Date: Thu Jun 15 00:08:57 2000

If one wanted to have large MTU that is supported by ATM. As Steven points out, you are limited by the endpoints (well, actually the smallest MTU anywhere in the path).  What large MTU might help with at an exchange point is allowing an entire BGP UPDATE to fit in single packet where lots of routes are exchanged. OTOH,  initial table transfer is nothing to worry about at these speeds and if you're flapping so many routes that the fragmentation of BGP UPDATE becomes an issue then aren't there other, bigger, problems?