Re: San Francisco power outages imminent

  • From: Shawn McMahon
  • Date: Wed Jun 14 23:22:24 2000

On Wed, Jun 14, 2000 at 06:30:32PM -0700, Wayne Bouchard wrote:

> Actually, thats another question I am somewhat interested in.. what
> are the policies of various people on testing and excercising
> generators and other backup equipment? How many customers ask about
> such things before locating equipment vs just asking "do you have
> backup power?"

We are very conscious about it, although at some of our data centers we have
to rely upon outside folks.

In one instance, an individual was signing off every week that he checked
the switch, but it turned out that for months he was just signing the sheet
and not actually testing anything.

In his new job the only thing he has to check is whether or not the customer
would like fries.  :-)

We're building a new main data center that is tornado-proof.  Nothing short
of a nuke should be able to cause us power issues.

Unless Sean Donelan gets ahold of a fusion-powered backhoe...