Re: exchange point media (was: Re: MAE-EAST Moving? ...)

  • From: Brandon Ross
  • Date: Wed Jun 14 23:17:39 2000

On Wed, 14 Jun 2000, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:

> On Wed, 14 Jun 2000 [email protected] wrote:
>
> > Isn't the push to MAE-ATM ?
>
> Are there any other suggestions, other than ATM?

[snip]

> Gigabit ethernet sounds nice but the MTU of 1500 is really restricting
> that technology.

While there are certainly shortcomings to using GbE as a public exchange
infrastructure, I fail to see how a 1500 byte MTU has anything to do with
it.  In every network I have ever seen, there have very, very rarely been
any packets larger than 1500 bytes.

The only case that I can think of where that becomes important is in a
MPLS exhange model where adding the label to large packets would cause
fragmentation or broken TCP sessions for the PMTUD challenged.

Brandon Ross                                                 404-522-5400
VP Engineering, NetRail                            http://www.netrail.net
AIM:  BrandonNR                                             ICQ:  2269442
Read RFC 2644!
Stop Smurf attacks!  Configure your router interfaces to block directed
broadcasts. See http://www.quadrunner.com/~chuegen/smurf.cgi for details.