Re: MAE-EAST Moving? from Tysons corner to reston VA.

  • From: hardie
  • Date: Wed Jun 14 21:18:53 2000

Wayne,
	You'd probably want at least a panel, if not a wrestling pit.
You'd certainly want a set of translators available, as a lot of folks
looking at the problem seem to use the same terms to mean slightly
different things.  As an example, "Traffic exchange" can be used as
synonymous with "peering" or it can be a broader term that includes
what happens when one party hands another packets and pays it for
transit.
	As an example, Equinix IBX centers are put together
essentially as dark fiber exchanges--most of the traffic is carried by
fiber (or copper) cross-connects between one customer's cage and
another's.  You could say that those cross connects make up the bulk
of the exchange fabric.  There is an ATM switch available for those
who need to do a lot of aggregation or want a device in the middle to
do some policing, but even that is seen as a way of doing
entity-to-entity cross connects.  Some would say that our model
doesn't include a "public exchange architecture" at all, but is a way
of doing private traffic exchange in shared space.  Others would say
that we are a public exchange, but one which lacks some of the
characteristics of a shared-medium exchange.
	In either case, Mark's point about scaling interconnect
bandwidth is a key question.  On one hand you have Tier-2 ISPs who
want fast ethernet based systems, because they don't really have an
immediate need to go for anything faster; on the other, you have
backbone-to-backbone traffic that is rapidly moving to the point where
the only thing that will make sense is to trade a lambda.  It's hard
to have public exchange that it is a good entry point for a Tier-2
that also meets the needs of the backbones.  Using multiple different
exchange methods to handle the different needs is one way around
the problem, but it comes at a cost in gear, support, and network
engineering.  The inertia in existing traffic exchange mechanisms
is also high enough that what tends to happen is that new connections
take new forms but the old mechanisms aren't taken out of service
at any speed--which again has a cost in gear, support, and network
engineering.
	Anyone else want to jump in this particular wrestling pit?
I'd be very happy to hear what other folks are thinking along these
lines.
				regards,
					Ted Hardie
					Equinix