Re: UUnet blocking ICMP ECHO for select sources/destinations ?

  • From: Kai Schlichting
  • Date: Wed Jun 14 16:50:36 2000

The observations suggest something different. Remember that I mentioned
that this blockage only occurs for a SINGLE IP in my network: the base
IP belonging to the server doing the stats collection every 5 minutes. Other
IP's (even on that server) are ok. Rate limiting would be visible as packet
loss after the committed rate is exceeded: you can't rate-limit on production border routers down to single-host granularity, only a big interface-wide
rate-limit will work. I am still trying to determine if the interface IP
in question is the customer side of things, but things are a bit murky
there, because there appear to be ACLs on both sides of the link.