RE: PMTU-D: remember, your load balancer is broken

  • From: rdobbins
  • Date: Wed Jun 14 12:30:59 2000

The 576 value of the MS PPP MTU is merely a default - it can be changed with
a registry hack.  Yes, fragmentation has indeed become a Great Evil due to
the large amounts of data we're pushing, and the time/resources required for
fragmentation/defragmentation.  Forcing excessive
fragmentation/defragmentation is an effective DoS.

As far as increasing the MTU size on your LAN links, you need to exercise a
lot of care when so doing.  I personally have never tried to change the MTU
size on an Ethernet segment of any type (Ethernet_II/1500 has worked
admirably, and I'm unsure of the result if I tried it); on Token Ring, going
up to 4096 has indeed been beneficial in the past when dealing with large
database writes, etc.  Of course, the protocol I was using at the time
supported 4096-byte frame sizes on Token Ring.

I thought the frame-size limits for Gigabit Ethernet were 64-1518/1522
bytes?  And isn't that the limit on most host IP stacks for Ethernet media?
Or am I off in left field, here?

Finally, I would say that on any medium, <100% utilization in and of itself
isn't grounds for fiddling with the MTU.  There are lots of other things to
look at, first.

 Roland Dobbins <[email protected]> // 818.535.5024 voice