Re: HTTP Tunneling

  • From: Mufti Ahmed
  • Date: Wed Jun 14 08:58:04 2000

Hi Eric, this sounds like a hack or is this valid for certain services that
you've
seen.

thanks

Mufti Nayeem Ahmed
Network Systems Engineer
Market Data Networks
Reuters America Inc.
(212)-603-3595

Eric Vyncke <[email protected]> on 06/14/2000 03:09:21 AM

To:   Mufti Ahmed/NYC/US/[email protected], [email protected]
cc:
Subject:  Re: HTTP Tunneling

Mufti,

May be your director was thinking about tunneling a Telnet/SSH/IPSec/... session
in a HTTP session.

This is quite common to use HTTP (which is allowed through most firewalls
configuration) to funnel other protocols through a firewall.

If your firewall is a plain packet filter, sending Telnet traffic to a modified
/etc/inetd.conf on port 80 will make the trick.

If your firewall is a proxy firewall, you will have to add a HTTP header
to it ;-)

Basically, some trojans are using this technique.

Other protocols used for tunneling are ICMP (remember loki ?), ...

Hope this helps

-eric

At 18:38 13/06/2000 -0400, Mufti Ahmed wrote:

>My Director was mentioning this phrase to me. Is this another term for
>"TLS Within HTTP/1.1"  RFC 2817.  Maybe some one who works in the
>ISP world is familiar with this term? Or do you think it's just a marketing
>term for what i just mentioned?
>
>Thanks
>
>Mufti Nayeem Ahmed
>Network Systems Engineer
>Market Data Networks
>Reuters America Inc.
>(212)-603-3595

>         Visit our Internet site at http://www.reuters.com
>
>Any views expressed in this message are those of  the  individual
>sender,  except  where  the sender specifically states them to be
>the views of Reuters Ltd.

Eric Vyncke
Consulting Engineer                Cisco Systems EMEA
Phone:  +32-2-778.4677             Fax:    +32-2-778.4300
E-mail: [email protected]          Mobile: +32-75-312.458

the views of Reuters Ltd.