Re: DVB/IP from teleglobe (and/or others)

  • From: Jim Mercer
  • Date: Tue Jun 13 20:38:39 2000

On Tue, Jun 13, 2000 at 04:29:31PM -0700, Jon Mansey wrote:
> InterPacket Networks offer IP/DVB services to our 650 customers in
> over 100 countries.
>
> The logistics of allowing each customer to put a firewall of their
> own at the satellite head end are problematic to say the least.

i don't see the problem.

if i park a box between your primary internet connection, and the router
directly in front of the DVB/IP uplink, your main router can send my packets
to my machine, which can then hand them to your DVB/IP router.

your main router can continue to hand the rest of the packets directly to
the DVB/IP router.

the customer box, if it malfunctions, only effects the customer's traffic.

even doing this 650 times, is not a problem.

if a client is willing to pay an additional co-location fee for the box,
i don't see why you would object.

> Its like asking UUnet to put a firewall in their core just for you, forget it.

the reason this would be a useless request, is that there is no single
point in uunet's network (except for the individual customer connection) where
such a firewall would make sense.

> How much bandwidth are you looking for via satellite?

10-20mbit, for this client.  replicate that 3-5 times, if i get a successful
and manageable solution.

--
[ Jim Mercer                 [email protected]              +1 416 410-5633 ]
[          Reptilian Research -- Longer Life through Colder Blood          ]