Re: attention net-grrls

  • From: Barry Shein
  • Date: Mon Jun 12 15:35:48 2000

The American right-wing has for a few years now been trying to perfect
a "turn the tables" rhetorical method superficially utilizing the
language of legitimate civil rights and similar movements but
employing the "trick" of using a value-free logic (that is, the
comment always ignores "little things" like 400 years of slavery or
pay inequality or whatever is convenient to ignore to make the smarmy
comment.)

It basically can be characterized by:

      How come we give all the first-aid to the injured,
      isn't that unfair and a violation of the rights of
      the uninjured?! But what if we bandaged everyone! Isn't
      that a terrible inconvenience to the majority of people!

      Therefore: Let's outlaw first-aid!

It's mostly silly tho I guess it plays well to their own amen corner,
I mean hey, what won't?

What's pathetic is when they themselves don't realize it's at best a
form of parody and act like they should be taken seriously.