OT: net-loss (was RE: attention net-grrls)

  • From: rdobbins
  • Date: Fri Jun 09 12:59:08 2000

Gee, I thought that IP, BGP, DNS, ACLs, and so on worked the same for women
as for men.

One of the main reasons I'm on this list is to learn from the experiences
and expertise of others - male -and- female.

You're of course free to do as you wish, but I personally think the whole
idea of a 'Women in Networking' list is absurd, revanchist, and sexist (to
use the politically correct terminology currently in vogue amongst those who
claim to be striving for 'equality', yet who seem to do everything they can
to claim that they themselves have 'special needs' and so on, which of
course undermines the rationale their supposedly egalitarian agenda).

Technology works the same for everyone, regardless of gender, race, creed,
or color; that's one of the beautiful things about it.  Consciously erecting
artificial boundaries where none need exist strikes me as being laughably
archaic, and ultimately counterproductive.

But, hey, what do I know?  After all, I'm just a member of the oppressive
patriachy, dedicated to keeping females barefoot, naked, and in the
wiring-closet, right?  Talk about your stereotyping.

Sorry for the rant, but this sort of thing strikes me as being inimical to
the spirit of the Net in general, and this list in particular.  I'll shut
up, now.

 Roland Dobbins <[email protected]> // 818.535.5024 voice