Re: pop server in an ISP environment

  • From: Jim Mercer
  • Date: Fri May 26 07:35:42 2000

On Fri, May 26, 2000 at 05:37:43PM +0800, Muljawan Hendrianto wrote:
> I am thinking about using QPOPPER+procmail, but some people say that it is not scalable because its authentication is based on /etc/passwd. And in Unix environment there is certain recommendation not to have more than 5000 users in /etc/passwd file.
>
> Another issue is high availability, does any body use server clustering in an ISP environment?
>
> ps: the system should be able to accomodate about 20000 users.

i used to maintain one of the freenets.

we had 60000+ accounts in the password file, which was shared with 8 machines
using NIS on the older SunOS 4 (pre-solaris).

we never had a problem with scaling.

--
[ Jim Mercer                 [email protected]              +1 416 410-5633 ]
[          Reptilian Research -- Longer Life through Colder Blood          ]