Re: That pesky AS path corruption bug...

  • From: Vijay Gill
  • Date: Tue May 23 14:39:33 2000

On Tue, 23 May 2000, Kai Schlichting wrote:

> >Insist on correct behavior, not on cruftery.
>
> more conceivable and robust "ignore (log) corrupted message, continue
> with regular operation" ? Given route flap dampening, dropping the BGP

Byzantine failures perhaps?  If I am getting some corrupt updates, how
confident am I that the rest of the updates are valid?  In any case, it
would appear that the process on the other side has some issues since
theoretically, a malformed update should never (for most values of never)
arrive.

> session is hardly the desirable outcome here. On that note: under what
> circumstances should or shouldn't the BGP session come back up without
> mnual intervention?

A combination of bgp dampening and exponential backoff timing for retry on
sessions that were dropped because of an error should take care of the
rest.

/vijay