Re: That pesky AS path corruption bug...

  • From: Vadim Antonov
  • Date: Tue May 23 13:51:56 2000

Peter T. Whiting <[email protected]> wrote:

> As I understand the current spec, a router, upon receiving a malformed
> as_path is supposed to respond with a notification message (3.11) and
> drop the BGP connection.  Your suggestion to maintain the connection
> and drop the announcement is a practical one, but doesn't put as much
> pressure on vendors to fix the bug.

This is not only practical, but, in fact, the only sane way to do things.
Dropping BGP session causes withdrawal of hundreds or thousands of
acceptable routes.  When the BGP session is reestablished, these routes
will be acquired again, causing a wave of announcements.  When the
invalid route shows up, the cycle is repeated.

What a perfect way to kill the Internet :)

--vadim