Re: That pesky AS path corruption bug...

  • From: Kai Schlichting
  • Date: Tue May 23 13:47:39 2000

At Tuesday 01:26 PM 5/23/00 , Vijay Gill wrote:

>This is a hack.  We do not need more cruft added on, rather, what we need
>is correct behavior.  The correct behavior being - if you see a corrupt/ a
>malformed update from a peer, send a notify and drop the session.  Seems
>fairly simple to me.
>
>The above suggestion of your fails in case of route servers.
>
>Insist on correct behavior, not on cruftery.

...reading the host requirements RFC and its definition of the
robustness principle: Why was the behavior above chosen over the
more conceivable and robust "ignore (log) corrupted message, continue
with regular operation" ? Given route flap dampening, dropping the BGP
session is hardly the desirable outcome here. On that note: under
what circumstances should or shouldn't the BGP session come back up
without mnual intervention?

bye,Kai