Re: BGP filtering of supernets out of classful space

  • From: Michael Hallgren
  • Date: Fri May 19 16:44:58 2000

John Fraizer wrote:

> On Fri, 19 May 2000, Daniel Senie wrote:
>

> > I'd like to see sites which filter provide a looking glass or similar so
> > that other providers can quickly and efficiently debug routing issues,
> > and also some known place where those providers doing filtering can be
> > listed, along with test hosts which can be traced to for testing whether
> > there are routing problems or not.
> >
> > Several folks will tell me I'm dreaming (or smoking something), no
> > doubt.
> >
> > Dan
>
> Some providers are VERY paranoid about people seeing what their routing
> table looks like.  I requested that one of our upstreams provide a
> looking-glass and their reply was "The LG code requires that we open up
> RSH on the routers.  No Way!"
>
> So...
>
> I wrote looking-glass code that uses telnet.  I provided it to the
> provider in question.  Still no looking-glass nearly a year later.

Depending on vendor, you may provide lookingglass functionality over SSH.
I feel it's pretty good to be reluctant on openening up rsh/telnet. Wether or
not the provider in
question want's to publish the information... ... is probably another another
question, though
a lot of it isn't hidden only by non-providing a lg.

mh

--
Michael Hallgren, http://m.hallgren.free.fr

"If you want truly to understand something,
 try to change it"
                   - Kurt Lewin (1890-1947)