Re: BGP filtering of supernets out of classful space

  • From: Daniel Senie
  • Date: Fri May 19 12:35:59 2000

Jeff Haas wrote:

[much discussion excised]

> And yes, I have directed the provider having the routing issues to
> contact each ISP doing the filtering separately.

Jeff,

Just how is the ISP in question going to contact each ISP doing this
filtering? To be more specific, how will they know which ISPs ARE doing
the filtering? Sure, they'll know about the ones they specifically have
observed issues with, but beyond that, there's just no way to know.

I continue to be concerned that some ISPs who do filtering do not
provide ANY means to look at the routes they ARE accepting, nor
necessarily post their filtering policy, thus providing very little
useful mechanism other than complaints from end users for figuring out
where problems exist. As a community, I think we can and should be
working toward a much more robust mechanism.

The routing registries are only part of the solution. Even when the
proper data is there, cases have existed where providers use that data
plus or minus additional data to decide what to accept.

I'd like to see sites which filter provide a looking glass or similar so
that other providers can quickly and efficiently debug routing issues,
and also some known place where those providers doing filtering can be
listed, along with test hosts which can be traced to for testing whether
there are routing problems or not.

Several folks will tell me I'm dreaming (or smoking something), no
doubt.

Dan

Daniel Senie                                        [email protected]
Amaranth Networks Inc.                    http://www.amaranth.com