Re: IGPs and services?

  • From: R.P. Aditya
  • Date: Wed May 17 15:16:19 2000

In message <[email protected]>, [email protected]
 writes:
> Why not just inject the /32 in the router as a static route?
> Keep OSPF overhead off the UNIX system and keep the application server out
> of my IGP.

Perfectly valid, except that DNS servers are usually attached by some sort of
broadcast media via a switch to the router that has the static route, and if
the DNS server stops responding, the static route doesn't "go away".

I have used a cross-over cable from the DNS server to a dedicated ethernet
interface on the router to solve this, however, it didn't fly as it came down
to not wanting to have a single underutilized interface per DNS server...Cisco
ethernet ports aren't cheap (fade to other thread about using Unix/PC boxes
with cheap 4 port ethernet cards as routers)...

Adi