Re: CIDR Report

  • From: Vadim Antonov
  • Date: Wed May 17 03:34:34 2000

[email protected] wrote:

> Sure, *any* good router vendor can build a router that can handle 100 million
> routing table entries.

Not.  The empirical evidence suggests that aggregate flap rate is proportional
to the number of prefixes in RIB.  Now, when people talk about route update
processing they tend to forget that IGP and routing table updates are easy;
matching prefixes against ruting policy filters is not.

I would say that a computing device capable of doing today's border routing
policies at 1M updates per second is well into the realm of science
fiction.

> The questions are (a) can they do it for a pricetag
> of under $2M, and (b) how many will they sell?

The question of profitability of cheese mining on the Moon is irrelevant,
because Moon isn't made from cheese.

--vadim