Re: The %^&# did it!

  • From: Jared Mauch
  • Date: Tue May 16 17:31:26 2000

	I'm not sure what text you're reading, but I'm reading
from the ammendment to HR1291

	Section 2, sub (2) which states:

	"(2) RULE OF CONSTRUCTION. -- Nothing in
	this subsection shall preclude the Commission from
	imposing access charges on the providers of Internet
	telephone services, irrespective of the type of cus-
	tomer premises equipment used in connection with
	such services.".

	my (personal) translation is this:

	Nothing here prohibits the FCC from imposing charges
	on Internet telephone providers.

	Because if you're an "ITP", it would likeley require
compatability with the existing PSTN infastructure, you would
then be charged based upon existing fees associated with
telephone calls.  (DCS, PRI, etc.. as you interconnected with
ILEC/CLEC telephone switches to gain access to the PSTN).

	- jared

On Tue, May 16, 2000 at 02:08:34PM -0700, Owen DeLong wrote:

> Since this specifically addressed per-minute charges/fees/taxes, and
> USF is not a per-minute charge as I understand it (I thought it was
> per-line), I suspect it is not related.
>
> Owen
>

> > 	<i am not a lawyer, but i talked to one>
> >
> > 	This is as it relates to the USF (Universal Service Fund).
> >
> > 	This means that providers of IP telephony that interconnect with
> > the PSTN are not excluded from paying USF fees.  Or that's my understanding
> > of the ammendment.
> >
> > 	- Jared
> >
> > On Tue, May 16, 2000 at 03:37:45PM -0400, John Fraizer wrote:
> > >

> > > http://www.wired.com/news/politics/0,1283,36339,00.html
> > >
> > > Time for a change in Washington.  Register to throw them out...er...vote.
> > >

> > > ---
> > > John Fraizer
> > > EnterZone, Inc
> > >

> > --
> > Jared Mauch  | pgp key available via finger from [email protected]
> > clue++;      | http://puck.nether.net/~jared/  My statements are only mine.
> > END OF LINE  |

END OF LINE  |