Re: The %^&# did it!

  • From: Derek J. Balling
  • Date: Tue May 16 16:47:43 2000

At 04:34 PM 5/16/00 -0400, Jim Mercer wrote:

On Tue, May 16, 2000 at 01:29:05PM -0700, Eric A. Hall wrote:
> > i don't use ICQ, but i sorta understood it to be half between biff and
> > irc.
> >
> > how is ICQ considered an "online telephone service"?
>
> It has two modes. In simple mode it is as you state. In advanced mode it
> offers a voice chat function.

ah, that would explain it.
Yeah, but it still wouldn't surprise me if the law was so poorly-written that it ALSO applied to:

Instant Messenger services
E-Mail services
E-Mail to Pager Gateways
E-Mail to Cel Phone Gateways
Overnight Delivery Package Tracking systems
Porn Site Credit Card Verification Systems

;-)