Re: CIDR Report

  • From: Valdis.Kletnieks
  • Date: Mon May 15 17:20:33 2000

On Mon, 15 May 2000 15:05:45 EDT, Chris Williams <[email protected]>  said:
> > "routers with faster bgp implemetations are what is needed" is what we
> > say, but the question a vendor asks is "does it increase my profit
> > margin, revenues, or market position?".  what we "want" is mostly
> > irrelevant.
> Don't you think introducing something which is A) In significant demand,
> and B) Nobody else has, generally works to increase one's market share?

You (and a lot of other people) seem to have forgotten a line item:

C) Price Point.  How much are people willing/able to PAY for such a feature,
and how many do you have to sell at that price to offset the R&D costs?

Sure, *any* good router vendor can build a router that can handle 100 million
routing table entries.  The questions are (a) can they do it for a pricetag
of under $2M, and (b) how many will they sell?

--
				Valdis Kletnieks
				Operating Systems Analyst