RE: CIDR Report

  • From: Roeland Meyer (E-mail)
  • Date: Sat May 13 13:38:32 2000

I've mentioned this before, so I'll just note it lightly.
There are a growing number of companies (dot-coms are only one of them) that have small head-count (<4000), but are spread out from Sydney to New York, with many "lone eagles" in the MST zone. They could probably do everything on a portable /24. However, with everyone filtering out announcements less than /20, such companies are encouraged to drop NAT, and use other methods to justify a /19, just so they can participate in peering (I won't say whom, one is a CTI development company). The VPN solution is cute, but the entire VP then becomes single-homed, at the VPN gateway (The alternative is that each location gets their own /24, linked by a VPN, to the other /24s, there are serious performance issues with this approach and hte /24 may only represent a single actual user). All of this burns IP addresses.

The point: Filtering BGP announcements costs in IP space allocations. There is a mathmatical relationship between IP address allocations, table sizes, and routing policies. Also, part of the relationship is determined by client business requirements.

Organizations are becomeing more geophysically diffused, with many end-nodes actually participating in multiple organizations. This is only starting now (I still see over 100K nodes actually doing this), it will get much worse.