Re: New Internet-draft on DDOS defense...

  • From: Jerry Scharf
  • Date: Fri May 12 10:21:40 2000

> >Another point that hasn't been mentioned in this thread is that this type
> >of attack is very easy to track down, since all the echo-reply packets
> >will have addresses in the same subnet.  A good portion of the problem
> >with smurf attacks is not so much the attack itself as the painful process
> >of tracking it to it's source.
> >

> By the time you trace the packets, identify the subnet, and convince the
> Network Administrator to detach the compromized system from the network,
>  the victim's router might have crashed. Especially, when there are more
> than one DDoS agents are compromized over different networks, the
> victim site may loose several hours of business!

Having been there, your solution mode is all wrong. What would happen in a
case like this where a DOS attack has a localized source is that you would get
the upstreams to filter them out. May take a few minutes, but given the ease
of tracing it should be quick (once you get the right ISP team working on it.)
Not too many people have more than a DS3 or two serving a subnet, and in
today's world the backbone can handle that much smurf even if the egress hose
can't.

Also the pain point of the solution will cure the DOS source. The ISP serving
the source first disconnects the circuit completely, then contacts the network
administrator and asks him/her to cease and decist. No fix, no Internet! I am
willing to bet that being a localized source of a DOS attack does not fall
within ISP AUPs.

Besides the idea that the cure is way to much for the problem, there is the
deployment issue. It usually takes 5-10 years (or more) for a solution like
this to saturate the installed base. Our problems wil be much different then.

The work in DOS needs to be much more focused on the hard problems of tracking
distributed spoofed attacks and automatic attack characterization, not wasting
time on this kind of stuff. I think that other than you defending this, there
has been no support. Please take it as hint.

jerry