Re: New Internet-draft on DDOS defense...

  • From: Brandon Ross
  • Date: Fri May 12 07:56:03 2000

On Thu, 11 May 2000, Owen DeLong wrote:

> Right answer, wrong reason.  The originating host will be easy to identify
> because the MAC address of the originating machine of the ECHO-REQUEST
> packets will be contained in the packets.

I have to strongly disagree, MAC addresses don't make it across router
boundaries, source IP addresses do.

Brandon Ross                                                 404-522-5400
VP Engineering, NetRail                            http://www.netrail.net
AIM:  BrandonNR                                             ICQ:  2269442
Read RFC 2644!
Stop Smurf attacks!  Configure your router interfaces to block directed
broadcasts. See http://www.quadrunner.com/~chuegen/smurf.cgi for details.