Re: product liability (was: Virus Update)

  • From: Andrew Brown
  • Date: Tue May 09 16:55:54 2000

>While this is true, license agreements for most software products
>indicate that the product is expressly sold "as-is", and that you
>agree explicitly that the manufacturer is not responsible.  This
>would most likely kill any product liability lawsuits, especially
>because the product performs to specification.

it sounds nice, but it doesn't always work that way.  cigarettes are
routinely sold with warnings that they'll kill you (okay, they're
"bad" for you in all sorts of ways), yet people still buy them and sue
the manufacturers when they get sick.

on the other hand, walking around with a loaded gun and a big sign
that said "warning: do not stand in front of" would certainly not
absolve me of any legal liability in the event that someone did
actually stand in front of me and get shot.  or the gun manufacturers,
who also get sued.

i wonder why no one has sued the steel foundries or tobacco
plantations yet...

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|
[email protected]             * "ah!  i see you have the internet