Re: Anybody patching Sendmail to filter _attachments_?

  • From: James Klossner
  • Date: Mon May 08 22:52:08 2000

Previously Andrew Brown said:

> >> The problem with the new filter API (thanks for leting me know about
> >> this guys) is that it requires a full-scale sendmail (to 8.10) upgrade
> >> for most of us.
> >
> >I realize that changing anything in many shops may require approval by a
> >committee, but allow me to recommend this upgrade.
> >
> >We like 8.10 here. Compiles cleanly, and has substantially improved
> >feature set. Even compiling the .mc to .cf is much easier now.
>
> i like 8.10 very also.  the filter stuff is a little young though...
> you have to build sendmail (or rebuild, if you've already built it)
> with _FFR_MILTER defined, among other things...like the usual dearth
> of documentation for new features that aren't really "released".  :)
>
> it also requires threads.  not something i've got very much practical
> experience with...

I've gotten Sendmail 8.10.1 with libmilter running and seems to work
rather well (with the exception of additional CPU usage).  Al Smith posted
vbfilter.c on comp.mail.sendmail on 5/5 to reject all .vbs attachments.
It's definitly an excellent starting point.

Moving to 8.10.1 in a simple setup (ie. store and forward) was very easy.
Using libmilter is pretty undocumented and takes a bit to get going.  In
addition to the above you need to build libmilter and then have the proper
flags in your .mc.  Any code for filtering requires that it's thread-safe.
Make sure you read libmilter/README.  The one thing it leaves out is
putting define(`_FFR_MILTER') in your .mc, which makes the cf build but not
include the right external filtering definitions.

-jkk

--
James K. Klossner 		[email protected]