Re: uuencoded Love Worm variant

  • From: Bennett Todd
  • Date: Fri May 05 14:24:21 2000

2000-05-05-13:44:16 Eric Conrad:
> I caught one of these uuencoded 'in the wild'.  It would have
> slipped through my filters if not for the standard Subject: line.

Does anyone know for sure that the uuencoded version isn't actually
devenomed by the uuencoding? I.e. is there any known gateway that
will turn the uuencoded attachment back into the known-virulent
MIME, or any known MUA that will offer to execute the uuencoded
script with a simple click? If the user has to go out of their way
to expressly decode the thing into a file, then deliberately execute
that file, that varient of the worm won't spread like wildfire; I'm
content to let it pass.

-Bennett