Re: Cutting to the chase (was RE: ABOVE.NET SECURITY TRUTHS?)

  • From: Alex Bligh
  • Date: Mon May 01 05:05:05 2000

> Not that I'm a money-grubbing, stock-sucking bastard, but speaking
> as a member of the "community", I'm a little spooked by how reckless
> journalism, and off-hand comments on mailing lists, affect peoples
> (read: companies) financial futures (this is actually just the tip
> of the proverbial iceberg).

It has another effect, which is that it tars other posts
with the same brush.

Those of us with glimpse-index memories can often remember
who posts generally good stuff. Few would categorize
Sean Donelan's outage posts in the same group
as "Vendor X's network sucks". But knowing not to so
categorize them relies on either extensive past knowledge
of NANOG or Sean. Discussion of operational issues is
made more difficult when many posts are (or seem to be)
tainted by misinformation.

--
Alex Bligh
VP Core Network, Concentric Network Corporation