Re: How long before NIPC decides we need one of these?

  • From: Chris Adams
  • Date: Mon May 01 02:19:20 2000

On 04/30/00 09:59:53 PM [email protected] wrote:

>On Sun, Apr 30, 2000 at 04:14:11PM -0700, Roland Dobbins wrote:
>>
>> http://www.the-times.co.uk/news/pages/sti/2000/04/30/stinwenws01034.html
>
>I thought that we already had one of these and that it was called Echelon.

Defeating Echelon involves only using standard techniques that are a good
idea in any case (strong encryption and encrypting everything). This requires
ISPs to install the wiretaps at their cost; coupled with RIP this means that
you know the government will be recording your traffic and they can very
easily require you to give them any encrypted traffic.

The civil rights issues have been getting a lot of attention, but has anyone
come across something discussing the security issues? Breaking into one of
these monitoring centers would be a major coup for a cracker and I rather
strongly doubt that a government agency would be on the ball enough to make a
break-in impossible.