Re: How long before NIPC decides we need one of these?

  • From: jlewis
  • Date: Mon May 01 01:19:03 2000

On Sun, 30 Apr 2000, John Fraizer wrote:

> PGP is your friend.
> On Sun, 30 Apr 2000, Roland Dobbins wrote:
> > http://www.the-times.co.uk/news/pages/sti/2000/04/30/stinwenws01034.html

 The new spy centre will decode messages that have
 been encrypted. Under new powers due to come into
 force this summer, police will be able to require
 individuals and companies to hand over computer
 "keys", special codes that unlock scrambled messages.

Sorry officer...I can't seem to remember my passphrase :)

I wonder if this will prompt people who care in the UK to frequently
revoke/destroy/recreate their PGP keys.  Otherwise, if forced to hand over
your private key, they can read any old message they've archived on you.

 Jon Lewis *[email protected]*|  I route
 Atlantic Net                |
_________http://www.lewis.org/~jlewis/pgp for PGP public key__________

spy Legion of Doom FBI Treasury [Hello to all my fans in domestic
surveillance] Noriega supercomputer BATF jihad Uzi
counter-intelligence Ortega cryptographic South Africa Khaddafi